Haywards Heath V BHRFC – 8/3/20

After a few weeks of no rugby it was good to be back on a pitch playing. Some changes to the squad with Eeson moving to inside centre.

Burgess Hill received the ball from the kick off and looked to make head way against the wind. Some good defence from both sides kept the game at a stalemate for the first few minutes until the Haywards Heath pack recycled the ball to allow a flowing passing move to score in the corner.

Heath were moving the ball wide and had more opportunities to score only to be stopped by Casey and Phillips who defended the wide channel as if someone was trying to steal their X box and intelligently using the touchline as an extra defender.

More pressure was put on the Hill defence using some strong direct running. Mcminn as always was dependable as the last line of defence kept the score down.

Continual defence by Holland, Butters, Worgan, Beauchamp Codd and the constant disruption to Heaths scrum half by Grant ensured Hill had something to play for.

Hill showed what they are capable of by freeing up Hind to make one of his charges up the centre of the field before half time was called.

Both teams made changes at half time with Davies and Lyford replacing the wingers.

The second half started with Heath again running hard using their new players and scoring from a set piece in the middle of the pitch.
The Hill players picked up their heads and hard running by Clegg using his speed and formidable hand offs got hill into enemy territory. Both forward and backs playing in unison to gain the hard yards against a strong Heath defence. Heath created a turnover to break away and score to go 3- 0 up.

Hill then had their best moments of the game. Eason and Clegg made distance when given ball in space and a clever pass to Hind gave him a run from the halfway line only to be chased down by the Heath defence.

Playing well but still under pressure John put in a clearance kick and chased hard to win back the ball on the floor giving Butters and the charging forwards time to recycle the ball. Hill probed the defence a couple of times before Captain Holland cleverly picked up the ball and charged over to give Hill a very well deserved try.

Newly returning player Lyford was tested early in his return by catching a high ball under pressure from advancing Heath forwards. Undeterred Lyford caught the ball and regained territory which resulted in a free pass for Hill. Davies on the other wing is known for his bravery in the tackle and threw himself in to the spokes to snuff out further attacks.

Hill created a second chance with John timing his trademark run to intercept a Heath attack and only a hand on his shirt stopped him from breaking free with a clear run in. Supported by Holland and his forward pack Hill kept the ball in Heaths half but unfortunately could not get over the line.

With only a couple of minutes to go Heath scored their fourth try to go 4-1 up.

The game came to a finish with both teams looking tired on a windy day but on a decent pitch considering the weather.

Hill coaches were very pleased with the game following a drought of rugby and look forward to Midhurst next week.

Hind was voted Hills player of the match by Heath for his strong running through midfield.